Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Children Of The Night...


I've got a confession to make.

I prefer the Werner Herzog remake of NOSFERATU to the Murnau original.

There. I said it.

And this is coming from a man who thinks that Murnau was, if not a genius - since I am increasingly uncomfortable with the term - certainly one of the most gifted film artists to have put images on the screen. A poet of pictures, no doubt about it. And I love his Nosferatu, really I do... but something in the Herzog film moves me more.

Contrary to critical concesus, I also think it's one of Herzog's finest films. As good as Aguirre, or Fitzcaraldo. It is also one of the films that comes closest to realising the tone of Stoker's book in many ways.

I'll be talking about this more in days to come. And the problem of Dracula adaptations in general.

Herzog's film sets sparks flying in my mind about how to realise the Stoker book (it still has never quite been done).

It's a subject that always comes back for me; Dracula as novel and film... and right now I'm back in the thick of it.

Was Polanski ever attatched to make a film of Dracula? If you mixed the look of Tess and the look of his Macbeth, with a bit of Herzog's Nosferatu, you might be coming close to the kind of thing that's in my head.

Until some time after breakfast...